Tuesday 2 November 2010






More experiments with mirrored boxes...








I wanted to try to continue using natural objects in my work so I incorporated them in with my mirrored box idea. The mirrored card I was using was pretty hazy, so the reflections were generally just vague outlines, capturing just colour, which quite interesting.






OK, I'm not gonna lie, this project started out pretty badly. My ideas were all over the place and I had no direction whatsoever. I'd faffed about for a good while over the summer, looking at microcosms (ridiculously hard place to start) and experimented , trying to create images of bacteria using precious objects (jewelery/chains/beads) and  editing the resulting photographs, which is what the purple coloured photo here illustrates. I was inspired to do this by the artist Luke Jerram who made glass sculptures of viruses like HIV. Anyway I eventually moved on to the idea of manipulating nature. It led me to look back at a project I had previously done, where I had created 'boxes of sky'. There is a link there, a pretty poor one, but it's there, as I was taking something natural, (the sky) and manipulating it through containing it. I liked the idea of being able to hold the sky in my hand and also how tactile the piece was. Anyway my tutor encouraged me to continue looking at boxes and further develop this idea, which is what I went on to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment